There is always a first time.
When you pour your heart out.
Mine was five years and three days ago.
When I let myself cry and shout.
Sorry that I would miss you.
That we had slipped so far apart.
The distance intended to protect.
Myself, us, not your heart.
How alone you must have been.
Wanting your family near.
Demanding unconditional love.
But not accepting or willing to hear.
In the time that has past.
My thoughts and feelings changed.
The range of emotions vast.
Grief. Love. Sadness.
Compassion. Guilt.
Laughing. Fondness.
Memories we built.
Knowing its time to shift my focus.
The choice made simple.
Away from sorrow and loss.
To my favorite day for each person.
Birthdays are the best days.
When we are shared with the world.
Enriching us in different ways.
For the good times shared.
If it weren't for birthdays.
We wouldn't be here.
I'm grateful for this day.
For what it possesses.
Remembering you in another way.
DGD 02.01.21
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.